Saturday, February 16, 2013

     If you don't know the meaning of catharsis, I suggest you find a dictionary before reading further.  I wrote this poem in 2010, two months after my job of fourteen years had fallen victim to "sparrow(s) feign(ing) an aura of presence" who used the recession as an excuse to eliminate my position.  My hope was that focusing on composing this piece would alleviate the anger that was consuming every aspect of my life.  Didn't work.
    "Bitter...party of one..."

Catharsis
 
Perched eagle-like upon the fire pit rim,
the sparrow feigns an aura of presence,
attempting to command unearned respect.
Often and easily rises ego
when led by temptation's promised power.
Whether a bird of prey or one of song,
to lead requires strength of character.
Having none, at the first screech of a jay
knowing the truth, the sparrow takes to flight.
Lately, I've been witness to succession
of too many pretenders to the throne.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment