Sunday, June 9, 2013

     Without a doubt, the best and most satisfying part of working in public education is the relationship you form with your students through helping, mentoring and guiding them.  Of course, this does lead to certain moments of sadness when they must be on their way, but the feeling of making a difference in someone's life is worth the bittersweet.
     I believe it was in the autumn of the 2007-2008 school year when I met a freshman student who was trying to find her way in life while dealing with her own specific baggage and demons, as do we all.  We spoke more times than I can count over the next three years: many happy and encouraging moments, some sorrow filled, and yes, a few in anger.  In the end, though, it was worth every minute, as are most journeys.  I promised her a poem as a graduation present, and I kept my word.  The following piece, written in 2010, is the gift I gave her.

The Butterfly Bush
 
Autumn, after having had its way,
passed.  What had been is now echoed was.
I'd prune the butterfly bush because
cold became the color of the day.
 
Knowing what the grasp of winter does
to living things (who, if asked, would say,
"All things equal, I'd prefer to stay..."),
I'd come prepared to excise what was
 
dead or dying; standing in the way
of healthy growth - essential because
I'd seen what clinging to darkness does.
This one would welcome a better day.
 
Enough!  The past is dead; what was, was.
The weary butterfly would not say
no one had encouraged her to stay.
This I could do, and did, just because.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment