Sunday, May 5, 2013

     The arrival (finally) of Spring has reminded of several poems I wrote a number of years back.  The verse I'll share today is one that was first published in a little book of 100 of my original poems.  The book is titled A Simple Gift.  It was published in 2003 by Publish America, LLLP, and because they continue to own the rights to the book they have graciously granted me permission to print three of my poems here in the hopes that it will promote sales.  So let's get that business out of the way: you can find A Simple Gift at www.publishamerica.com.  There are a number of good poems in the book which I believe justify its publication.  There are also a number which probably could have used some more fine tuning.  The rest lie somewhere in between.  As for the book's title, it comes from a piece of music which my daughter first heard as a child and which we have both come to love.
     Here is the first of those three poems.

Squatter's Rights
 
 
Again, that blue jay roosts atop the pine
which I may lawfully consider mine
because it chanced to grow within the yard
that I have fenced.  Perhaps he's standing guard
 
over the feeders on the Shepherd's Cross;
security against excessive loss
ascribed to squirrels watching from the trees.
They regularly take all that they please.
 
The wrens alight en masse, speaking their minds.
A woodpecker has left his branch behind,
instead to pull the suet from its cage
where these same squirrels once provoked his rage
 
by fleeing with his meal, having pried
the sliding door to reach the feast inside.
Small wonder, then, that now a sentry stands
above the yard to keep it in good hands.
 
The sun slips, sadly bidding us goodnight.
The woodpecker and wrens take to their flight.
And still the blue jay governs from on high,
and still the squirrels wait for him to fly.
 
The deed says this is mine, but on my word
I'd say the proprietor is that bird.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment